Friday, February 14, 2014

Getting the message out

 I recently signed on as a Women and Addiction in Midlife writer at the betterafter50 website. The amazing women over there are taking on the issue of late-life drinking and its unique set of problems. 
The first piece ran this week and here's a bit:
I do not have a drinking problem. There have been mornings where my head is explosive, barely holding itself. And there have been nights that I barely remember. But there have also been afternoons that were incandescent. Dinner parties that were magical. I’ve seen groups of people who could not be in the same room join together in song (although I have also seen people who completed each other shatter into a million pieces after a drunken battle.)
After a couple of drinks I am as witty as Dorothy Parker and as beautiful as Sofia Loren. When I open my mouth to sing, I wonder why I am undiscovered. And when I type out a message on Facebook, I am a sage who deserves a book deal.
So why am I putting my wine glass down? Because like so many women my age – an age of second chances and encore performances – my problem isn’t so much with drinking, it’s with the reasons I drink.
To read the rest ...


No comments:

Post a Comment